COMRADES OF THE OUTDOORS:
We are organizing a winter hiking and camping trip in Harriman State Park, the largest state park in New York State, and we want YOU to join us! We will have day hike options on Saturday and Sunday, and campers will be staying overnight. Harriman State Park is easily accessible by public transportation.
Experienced camper? GREAT! Person in fit cardiovascular health, but a little unsure of what to expect? No problem, read on!
For people doing the public transportation route, the train leaves at 9:09 AM from Penn Station, and the journey takes just an hour to Harriman State Park. The last train back from Tuxedo is at 9:57 PM.
We plan to take the Kakiat trail as indicated-- except turn left at the White Bar trail to make camp at the Dutch Doctor shelter the first night. People can camp in tents around there, where there will be good, established campsites. If weather does not work in our favor, there will be shelter and common space for group activities.
Basic Gear Requirements (* = just for camping):
1. Tent/Space in a tent*
2. Sleeping bag/Sleeping pad*
3. Personal first aid kit (band aids, any medication you take, allergy medication, blister pads)
4. Water bottle(s)
6. Hiking boots
7. Wool socks
8. Coat, hat, gloves, layers, warm winter clothes
9. A cup (for coffee, libations, and/or soup), a plate/bowl, utensils*
10. Comradely behavior
3. Rain gear
4. Printed trail map
5. Chocolate or preferred snack/goodie!
6. Trail games/stories to share
NOTE: Ask if you don't have one of these items but still want to participate... we have extra gear! We will also start a google spreadsheet closer to the camping date to facilitate gear-share.
- Breakfast Saturday: Everyone eat independently on the train or before meeting
- Lunch Saturday: everyone pack their own lunch! Sandwiches are great, but really whatever. Something you can eat while still walking.
- Dinner Saturday: We can make soup, and everyone could bring an item to contribute to a communal stew. That, plus cheese and a loaf of bread is a feast! People can also bring ingredients for a salad. Do please let us know of any allergies! -Breakfast Sunday: Scrambled eggs, tortillas, salsa, instant coffee and fruit.
Email bronx.uptown [a] socialists.nyc. with any questions!