Back to All Events
Are you disappointed, outraged, or terrified by NYC’s failure to keep immigrants safe despite being a ‘Sanctuary City?’ Do you want to do something about it? Please join us for a South Brooklyn Sanctuary Summit on Saturday March 10th at Saint Jacobi Church in Sunset Park, Brooklyn. South Brooklyn residents, community organizers, faith leaders, activists, and legal representatives will gather to discuss how to build SanctuaryHood in our neighborhoods.
This Summit is an opportunity to build power, share resources, establish rapid defense networks, and strengthen community through SanctuaryHood/Barrio Santuario, a campaign organizers have been working on in different parts of the city. We will:
- Hear from frontline workers and organizers about current actions underway to empower and protect South Brooklyn immigrants of all legal statuses
- Learn about the recent campaign of SanctuaryHood from both an historical and legal perspective
- Envision and actualize what Sanctuary might look like in our neighborhood and how community organizing can get us there (through breakouts and small group discussions)
- Padre Luis Barrios, Holyrood Church/Iglesia Santa Cruz
- Reverend Juan Carlos Ruiz, St. Jacobi and New Sanctuary Coalition
- Geoff Trenchard, Immigration Lawyer
- Denise Romero, Immigrant rights activist with Jackson Height Immigrant Solidarity Network, the NYS Youth Leadership Council, and the International Socialist Organization
As attacks on immigrants and the undocumented ramp up, now is the time to grow and strengthen the community bonds that will be the surest defense against policies of xenophobia and hate.
This event is organized by the South Brooklyn Sanctuaryhood Coalition.