The Racial Justice Working Group (together with the Debt & Finance and Climate Justice Working Groups) is going back out again to collect signatures to bring Postal Banking to the Bronx!
We are going back out to canvass for more signatures near the Kingsbridge Rd. stop on the 4 subway line. Meet up at the Jerome Avenue Post Office!
Postal Banking is important because:
1) You should never have to pay to cash the paychecks you've earned.
2) We need a public option for checking and savings accounts.
3) Postal banking breaks the power of predatory lenders.
4) Postal banking gives working class families a low-cost alternative to payday lenders and high-fee private bank checking accounts that punish you for using your own money.
5) We can't count on big banks to offer free checking -- Bank of America recently ended their free checking program for low-income customers due to how unprofitable it was.
6) Only 7% of the world's national postal systems don't offer free basic banking services.
4.1 million workers are paid with a payroll card. Those without a bank account typically spend $40-$50 per month on ATM fees to access their own pay.
THIS IS CLASS WAR!